Take cooking classes so you can eat great food every day. We're happy to share these
recipes for you to try at home.
There are 1 recipes on this page.
Yield: serves 2
- 1 ripe plantain (mostly black)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Peel the plantain and cut into 1-inch segments.
- Hit the segments (with a meat tenderizer or the bottom of a glass). They should be about 1/4-inch thick when smashed.
- Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot swirl half the butter in the pan. Add half the plantain pieces. Cook until golden brown on the botton and turn over. Remove from skillet when both sides are nicely browned.
- Repeat with remaining plantain and butter.
- Serve with lime to squeeze on top.
Note: If you are using several plantains be sure to wipe the pan with a clean paper towel every few batches. This will clean out excess butter that will make later batches look blackened and burned.
Recipe By: Andy Broder